Meet Dr. Parker
Board-certified plastic surgeon Thornwell H. Parker, III, M.D. is a skilled and dedicated skin care physician serving the greater Dallas, TX area with superior skin cancer treatment and reconstructive surgery following removal. Dr. Parker’s goal is to promote skin health and natural beauty through prevention, intervention, and rejuvenation — the three principles on which he founded his private practice, Skin Cancer Consultants. One of only seven in the world to accomplish such a task, Dr. Parker is dual trained as a board-certified plastic surgeon and is fellowship trained in Mohs surgery and procedural dermatology. In addition, Dr. Parker is a devoted husband and father of four.
Education & Training
Dr. Parker began his prestigious academic career at Wake Forest University, graduating in 1997 with a Bachelor of Science. He received his Doctorate in Medicine in 2001 from Baylor College of Medicine, where he was awarded “Outstanding Plastic Surgery Student.” Dr. Parker then returned to Dallas to begin his plastic surgery residency at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, a plastic surgery center held in extremely high regard among plastic surgeons and considered by many to be the best in the country. Shortly following the completion of his residency in 2006, Dr. Parker began his fellowship in Mohs surgery and procedural dermatology under Dr. Willis Cottel, former president of the American College of Mohs Surgery (ACMS), at Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas. He completed the rigorous Mohs surgery program in 2007.
Mohs Surgery Fellowship
The completion of an ACMS accredited fellowship is usually considered the highest level of training that can be received by a skin cancer specialist. This fully qualifies Dr. Parker as a master of many skin cancer treatments combined with facial reconstruction specialties, varying in complexity from single to multiple-step procedures. The Mohs surgical technique is believed to be the most successful surgical removal of skin cancer, and the completion of the fellowship program depends upon a plastic surgeon’s ability to perform a number of specific medical tasks with ease and confidence. Completion of the program requires:
- Previous completion of a stringent medical residency from an approved medical center
- The ability to accurately identify tissue samples taken from patients during Mohs surgery
- Observing and assisting in 500 Mohs surgery procedures
- Mastery of a wide range of facial reconstructions, varying in degrees of difficulty
Skills & Specialties
While he is experienced in both cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery, Dr. Parker is especially skilled in facial repairs of the nose, eyes, ears, and lips. His comprehensive Mohs surgery training provided him additional strength in surgical dermatology, skin care, and skin rejuvenation. The combination of education and training Dr. Parker received is not common in the plastic surgery field. He is dedicated to the skillful treatment of skin cancer and the reconstruction and renewal of self-confidence following the procedure. Dr. Parker’s skills and specialties extend beyond the operating room to include overseeing the emotional well-being of his patients.
Memberships & Associations
Dr. Parker is focused on maintaining and increasing his current level of excellence in plastic surgery and skin cancer treatment. In addition to his ongoing efforts to expand his medical knowledge, he is also:
- Board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Fellow of the American College of Mohs Surgery
- Founder of Skin Cancer Consultants and Elevate Medical Spa
- Director of Dallas SurgiCenter
- Volunteer Faculty at the Department of Plastic Surgery – UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Member of Texas Society of Plastic Surgery
- Member of Dallas Society of Plastic Surgery
- Member of Christian Medical and Dental Society